Evidence-based health care is a combination of best research evidence, the expertise of the healthcare provider, and patient values. CCNet is made up of fellow consumers who are committed to the philosophies of the Cochrane Collaboration and the importance of consumer participation in informed healthcare decision-making processes.
CCNet supports consumers by enabling communication, training and guidance in providing a consumer perspective to Cochrane reviews and other activities within Cochrane. The Network encourages consumers throughout the world to give their perspectives and have their say on priorities for health care and encourages the concept of evidence-based practice with a forward thinking approach to improvement of health care.
The Cochrane Consumer Network believes that consumer participation aids the development of high-quality and relevant systematic reviews, and that these reviews can actively inform evidence-based practice in health care with effective dissemination.
Communication is via a moderated e-mail list. E-mail enables communication between consumers and people within Cochrane who are involved in consumer participation. To participate, send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Cochrane Consumer Network also:
- Provides links for consumers to Cochrane groups;
- Develops materials, training materials and workshops to facilitate effective consumer participation and accessibility to Cochrane reviews by consumers;
- Maintains the CCNet pages;
- Publishes regular newsletters;
- Provides an avenue for consumer representation, including from developing countries.
*The information above about CCNet was taken from the CCNet website on 25 October 2007.